Sunday, June 19, 2011

Adventures in Glass, Houston, Chicago & Madison

Sean and I have created a bucket list for all of the things that we want to do before we leave the Seattle area. Sean had never been to the glass museum so we took a trek down to Tacoma on Memorial Day. The museum had a new fun exhibit about creating glass depictions of children's drawings. I was really fun to see the crazy stuff they came up with. We also took a stroll across the bridge that houses a bunch of Dale Chihuly's work. Here are a few of our favorite photos.





After the museum, we hit the Old Spaghetti Factory and headed back home to pick up my suitcase. Off to Houston for the week for me. My co-worker, Jake & I got to take an awesome red-eye that was an hour and a half late leaving. Then when we got to Houston, Jake managed to take a bag that looked like his, but was actually not his off of the luggage carousel. Off to a stellar start, but the week smoothed out from there and the people at the facility were very nice to us. Always a pleasant surprise given that some of them know they are being laid off. While I was bumming around Houston one evening near the Galleria mall I ran into this crazy big water feature. Doesn't seem too eco-friendly in the arid desert of Texas.


From Houston I flew direct to Chicago to meet up with Sean. To celebrate all that is Chicago, we had a delicious deep dish pizza on Friday night. We spent Saturday morning exploring the city. It was SO hot and humid. I've never been more thankful for a light weight cotton shirt. On a major plus side, I was able to sport flip flops all day. Whoo Hooo to that! We hit the Cloud Gate and had drinks at the Hancock building (which has the most amazing view from the women's restroom on the 92nd floor).




Then it was off to Amtrak where we took the train to Milwaukee. We took a quick drive through the city (beautiful park and downtown area) and then it was off to Madison. In Madison we had awesome Mexican food for dinner; no I'm not being sarcastic, it was seriously good. We drove around the UW campus and walked off a little of our dinner by going out on Picnic Point. The capital building looks pretty impressive on the lake at night. The next day we went to Church in the morning to meet the locals, and then spent the remainder of the day walking around the downtown area and the UW-Madison campus. The campus is right on a large lake, with their own walking/biking paths, docks, and terraced student union that abuts the water. It's a beautiful area, and the sunsets over the lake are really nice. I flew back to Seattle the next day, while Sean remained in the area until Tuesday night.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo! I LOVE the glass! Put that on my list next time I'm there. I showed Scott the water picture and he said, "everything is bigger in Texas" Very true. Glad you had fun! Do you have a definite new home? And, Scott says next time you are in Milwaukee go see the Pabst Mansion. It is his great-great grandma's home. Random. Congrats to Sean!

    ReplyDelete